"Get Old" Hy Snell, 94 from Variable on Vimeo.
Get Old is about a group of elderly individuals who are talented painters, this short film has inspired me because of it combination of medium shots and close-ups, focusing entirely on the individuals and the art they are creating, the creator has done this because they want to remove the stereotype that artists need to be young and 'able' in order to produce work, this short film also proves that old people are not all boring and flat. I like the use of these camera shots and I think that incorporating them into some of my shots will create a nice neat way of representing everything my character does on a daily bases (which wouldn't be painting).














Stripped Bare from Variable on Vimeo.
This film contrasts to the last as its colour pallet is very limited, colours are primarily shades of black, brown and dark green. It does however use medium and close-up shots frequently similar too the last short film. I like the idea of decreasing the light level as it makes the entire short film darker and changes the theme to be more mysterious and intriguing, making the main character be more interesting. I plan on doing the contrast, the colour level will remain bright but I will bleed all vibrant colours from the film, making it appear dull and boring like the theme I will be trying to convey.








Ólafur Arnalds - Old Skin from Magnus Leifsson on Vimeo.





Patrick from England Your England on Vimeo.
Lack of music- subtle feeling of loneliness and detachment. Isolation.
Framing is superb and pace is slow enough to reflect the character.- Slow pace would be ideal from my character, would reflect his age and the stereotype that old people are slow.
The short film uses Foley sound as the main source of sound (Not including the narration), this reinforces the idea that this man lives a simple and humble life. The long pauses in the mans speaking were no sound is present helps build the emotions the viewer is feeling towards the character.


 This use of prolonged silence mixed with Foley sound of the character performing actions might work well in my short film, a good shot idea I have just had would start with the character stirring a cup of tea, this would last maybe 7-10 seconds and then it would cut (Or fade) to a time-lapse of a roundabout with cars going around it and the Foley sound would bridge over and continue throughout this shot as well.