My short film will start off inside of the elderly mans home, the first several shots will be focused on his daily life, what he does day-to-day (The information I got from the interviews will help me determine what elderly people do). The shots will continue to focus on his life during the day, slowly progressing until night, when he goes to bed. The next day will start exactly the same and continue the same as the day before however, this is when I will start to make connections to society, including shots of traffic and general public, these shots could be introduced by graphic match to further reinforce the connection.
For example I would establish his sense of mundane and then societies sense of the mundane, the stirring of the teacup would graphic match to a round-about for example,
As the short film progresses the shots will speed up, I will also slowly include more shots of society than shots of the main character. I will be making comparisons to a slightly over exaggerated, monotonous society and the lonely, repetitive lives of some elderly people.
I do not plan on having a happy conclusion to this short film, I plan on ending it how it began, with everything being the same and no happy conclusion to the monotonous life style, another way I could structure this film is instead of spanning over a few days it could instead focus on one, being more detailed and ending with the next day starting the same as the day before, suggesting his 'every day is the same' lifestyle rather than showing it, I will still include the comparisons to society with the shots and graphic matches of crowded places and roads.
The single day idea will be more detailed as it would focus on everything the main character does in a day, from the moment he wakes up till he goes to bed, allowing for a smooth transition from day to night with the activities he does following the time. When he wakes up he would be doing simple things such as making tea, cooking and eating breakfast and watching the television (Maybe BBC news or the weather). The day will then progress to mid-day, he will start doing jobs around the house, maybe hovering tending to the vegetable patch and start watching television. The evening will focus on the character just sitting in front of the television, mindlessly watching it as the room is filled with the light from the television, replicating the light from the moon, the slowness of each scene and shot will be a key factor in establishing how boring his lifestyle is
The multiple day idea however means the individual days are a lot shorter, allowing less detail and the day-night cycle might become confused with the complexity of the days being combined. The individual days might contain only a handful of things the character is doing during each stage of the day, the pace would also be quicker to make the individual days drag on for less time. This might suggest how the days are slipping away, getting shorter whilst staying the same each day.
The full day idea would be ideal as it could be stretched over five minutes as I could condense the day down neatly and in a logical fashion, however I might struggle to make the five minutes and keep the short film in a logical order if I go with the multiple day idea.
An idea for the graphic matches could be the main character stirring tea, the shot would then change to a round-about, cars moving a the same pace as the tea. Another idea I had was the main character walking up and down the halls in the house, I could do a time-lapse of a car moving on a straight road.
With the film containing no musical sound track I will need to focus more on Foley sound, some examples I will need to create might be a tea-spoon swirling around in a cup, walking on floor boards or the indistinguishable background noise of a television.
If I use the multiple day idea props would be important as each day he will use the same props as his clothes might change and appearance might change slightly but the props will stay the same over all of the days, some of these props I will keep the same might be the chair he sits in, mugs, slippers, plates, television remote, glasses, etc.
The establishing shots of the outside world could also help establish time passing, maybe a time-lapse of the sun setting over a busy street to show the progression to night or the increase of cars in the morning as the sun rises.